Gracanica Serbian Orthodox Church
Our Serbian Community roots in Windsor and Essex County go back to the turn of the last century. There were very few immigrants from the homeland; they had come mainly from the areas that were still under the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the remnants of the Ottoman Empire occupation. Those early immigrants settled in the Detroit and Windsor area.
Many more Serbs came to North America after WWI and especially after WWII. Today’s Serbian community was also significantly enlarged during the recent fall and separation by the Republics of Communist Yugoslavia. Canada again became a home for many people that were expelled from their homes and our community gained a significant number of Serbian people.
Latest Posts by Father Vranic
- ОСВЕЋЕЊЕ КРСТА „КРАЈИШКА СУЗА“У суботу 4. новембра 2023. године, Његово Преосвештенство Епископ канадски др Митрофан посетио је Виндзор и осветио нови Крст „Крајишка суза“, који је недавно постављен у порти цркве Грачанице. „Крајишка суза“ је дар виндзорских Крајишникâ, а ради молитвеног сећања на све невино пострадале Србе Босне … Read more
- V. Rev. Fr. Vladimir Elevated to Rank of ProtojerejSunday, August 27, 2023, the Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost, was a joyous day in our parish for a number of reasons. This article is dedicated to just one of them: the elevation of our parish priest, The Very Reverend Fr. Vladimir Vranic, from the rank … Read more
- ВИНДЗОРСКА ГРАЧАНИЦА СВЕЧАНО ПРОСЛАВИЛА ХРАМОВНУ СЛАВУGRAČANICA CELEBRATED IT’S SLAVA У недељу 27. августа, виндзорска Грачаница је свечано прославила своју храмовну Славу – Успеније Пресвете Богородице. Његово Преосвештенство Епископ канадски др Митрофан дочекан је са великом радошћу од стране верног народа Виндзора. Свету архијерејску Литургију је служио Преосвећени Владика Митрофан, а … Read more
The Orthodox Christian Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It is not denominational, it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended, and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost nearly 2,000 years ago.
Source, St. George Serbian Orthodox Church, Monroe, MI
Latest Posts from the Community
- A new book by Dr. Marinel Mandreš of Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario entitled “A Memory Reclaimed, a Commission Fulfilled: Serbs and Romanians during Canada’s First National Internment Operations … Read more
- On Sunday, September 24, the Golden Age Club held a BBQ at the Serbian Centre. Over 50 members and supporters gathered to enjoy ćevapi,, ražnići, salads, and desserts. Thanks to … Read more
- Blažo Radanović celebrated his 95th Birthday after church on Sunday, July 16th with choir members, Kumovi, friends and parishioners! Everyone sang Happy Birthday and Mnogaja Ljeta. As the most senior … Read more
- S.S.S. Gračanica warmly congratulates our choir member, Petar Bratić, who has been accepted to Western University Law School. We wish you all the best and are so proud of your … Read more
- On June 26, 2023, thirty-five singers from member choirs of the Serbian Singing Federation of the United States and Canada traveled to Belgrade, Serbia to embark on a week-long musical … Read more
- On July 6th, 2023, our museum celebrated the grand opening of a new exhibition in honour of the 80th anniversary of the passing of Nikola Tesla. This exhibition was curated … Read more