Gracanica Serbian Orthodox Church
Our Serbian Community roots in Windsor and Essex County go back to the turn of the last century. There were very few immigrants from the homeland; they had come mainly from the areas that were still under the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the remnants of the Ottoman Empire occupation. Those early immigrants settled in the Detroit and Windsor area.
Many more Serbs came to North America after WWI and especially after WWII. Today’s Serbian community was also significantly enlarged during the recent fall and separation by the Republics of Communist Yugoslavia. Canada again became a home for many people that were expelled from their homes and our community gained a significant number of Serbian people.
- Pan-Orthodox Clergy Association of Windsor-Essex Resumes its ActivitiesOn Tuesday, February 20, 2024, Fr. Corneliu Andrasco generously hosted a regular meeting of Orthodox priests in Windsor, Ontario. At the meeting it was decided to resume the inter-orthodox activities, and the program of inter-orthodox vespers and liturgies during the Great Lent period was established, … Read more
- 2023 Scholarship RecipientsCongratulations to our 2023 Recipients!The awards were presented at our Church Slava banquet before the school year began. We wish them success in their post-secondary education and endeavors. Announcing 2024 Scholarship Opportunities for Post Secondary Students The 2024 Scholarship Essay Topic is: ” How does your … Read more
- ОСВЕЋЕЊЕ КРСТА „КРАЈИШКА СУЗА“У суботу 4. новембра 2023. године, Његово Преосвештенство Епископ канадски др Митрофан посетио је Виндзор и осветио нови Крст „Крајишка суза“, који је недавно постављен у порти цркве Грачанице. „Крајишка суза“ је дар виндзорских Крајишникâ, а ради молитвеног сећања на све невино пострадале Србе Босне … Read more
The Orthodox Christian Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It is not denominational, it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended, and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost nearly 2,000 years ago.
Source, St. George Serbian Orthodox Church, Monroe, MI
Latest Posts from the Community
- Please consider ordering dessert boxes from ASSP, in support of Serbs for Serbs! We will be accepting orders until Wednesday February 14th at 11:59 PM, and will be baking and … Read more
- Kuhinjske Krpe Are you looking for the perfect Slava, hostess or Pascha gift? Look no further! S.S.S. Gračanica is selling authentic Serbian tea towels! Limited numbers and designs available – … Read more
- Dr. John Cappucci, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of Assumption University, Windsor’s Roman Catholic University, visited Gracanica on January 18, 2024 in honour of Christian Unity Week. Fr. Vladmir Vranic warmly welcomed … Read more
- Here’s your chance to pick up a special gift and support the Golden Age Club at the same time! These cute mugs are the perfect present for a newlywed couple, … Read more
- It was 1927 when Dusan and Jelena Pavlov (nee Maric) left Saravale Romania in search of a better life in Canada. Western Canada needed farm labourers and the people from … Read more
- Stefan Dobrich has been recognized by the Governor General of Canada for his achievement of “All Canadian Athlete”! To qualify, athletes need to retain an average of 80% while playing … Read more